- Centralized Database
- Distributed Database
- Personal Computer Databases
- Client/Server Databases
- Central Computer Databases
Many organizations/departments have sub-offices in different cities and countries. In such cases, the distributed databases are used instead of centralized databases. A distributed database is a single logical database, which is spread physically across computers in multiple locations (such as cities or countries).
The distributed databases are further divided into two categories:
- Homogeneous Databases
- Heterogeneous Databases
- The operating system used at each location must be same or compatible.
- The data structures used at each location must be same or compatible.
- The database application (or DBMS) used at each location must be same or compatible.
The heterogeneous database systems are opposite to homogeneous database systems. In a heterogeneous system, different nodes may have different hardware and software and data structures at various nodes or locations are also compatilbe